KJ Hosting tip from Eric Godfrey
KJ Host Training Plan:
If you are a KJ or karaoke hosting company and you are training someone, we follow a process so that when that host takes over a show they are not overwhelmed. It is not rocket science and sharing it with others seems like a good thing to do.
Before starting this program a prospective host should see an entire show from beginning to end and be sure they can handle this for a 4 to 5 hour period. If they do not have the stamina to stay in the audience beginning to end, they will never be able to handle 3 or 4 nights a week of shows with set-ups and tear-downs.
1st night - Trainee host stays with trainer-host entire night and observes everything, learning how to adjust volumes and sound and operating the program.
Outside the clubs – This is a private training session with manager or owner to go over equipment knowledge, sound theory, terminology and KJ program use.
2nd night – Trainee will run the gear and the program for entire night and occasionally chime in on microphones as appropriate. Trainer should help as needed, but by end of the evening the trainee should be comfortable.
3rd night - Let trainer-host run gear, but trainee interfaces with customers and runs the microphones back and forth and makes announcements all night. Always make sure to announce bar specials & acknowledge the service staff numerous times, in addition to changing up how you introduce and acknowledge the singers. This is the hardest night on most trainees.
Some prospective hosts will need to repeat the gear and program running night or the microphone night to get comfortable before attempting to pass certification test.
Final Test - Run complete show effectively including set-up and proper operation of gear without your trainer-host having to take over at any time.
These are the basics. Learning to run your KJ Program and your gear and understanding terminology are entirely other lessons. Either way, let your actual personality come out and have fun. If you get past your worries and get going and understand all aspects then you need to be having a good time when you are hosting. If you are not having a good time, then you might want to re-evaluate if you should host shows. No matter what, have a good time, but remember to try to keep some level of professionalism!
- 82KJ Hosting tip from Eric Godfrey Eric Godfrey manages: USKaraokeAlliance.com Karaoke2Night.com network StarzKaraoke.com ArizonaKaraokeContest.com Hey guys, I was writing an email to a couple of new host trainees and thought it would make a decent short article to share with all of you. In my opinion, this topic is the number one thing in running…
- 40Metamuse Media today announced the 1.0 release of its popular karaoke platform, kJams, which allows professional KJs and home users alike to create and run their own customized karaoke shows SANTA CRUZ, CA – June 21, 2013 – Earning high praises for its ease of use, deep feature set, and enterprise – level customer support,…
- 36Benefits of Switching to Digital Karaoke Hosting by Bobby Brooks, VP of USKaraokeAlliance (www.uskaraokealliance.com) and owner, UR Entertainment (www.urentertainment.net) I remember when I got my first CD back in the late 1980’s? I thought that it was the greatest new invention ever! The CD was smaller than an album and had better sound quality than…
- 33by Eric Godfrey, President of US Karaoke Alliance President, Starz Entertainment US Karaoke Alliance (www.uskaraokealliance.com) members can get free help and advice and also have the ability to deal with manufacturers for discounts on collections. 1st thing – let’s keep it legal! All File Sharing sites and all Pre-Loaded Hard Drives are illegal. Most of the…
- 30compiled by US Karaoke Alliance and Karaoke2Night Network We took singer rotation histories from 1000 karaoke shows at over 30 bars and totaled up the results to come up with the top Karaoke Artists of all time. (according to our singers). Please send us your karaoke rotation histories (digital history files showing singer names, songs…
Filed Under: Karaoke
Leave a comment