by Nick Airriess, CHAUVET® DJ Product Specialist
Custom gobos are probably the easiest upsell item for a DJ or mobile performer to employ when booking an event — especially a wedding. Ordering a custom steel or glass gobo takes time to design and ship — they can also get pricey. Have you ever considered creating and printing a gobo from the comfort of your own home or office? Before you begin, review the specs of your gobo projector to ensure it is equipped to handle a printed gobo. Watch the instructional video and follow these four easy steps to create custom gobos for your next event:
1. Design Your Gobo
Use an art-based software, such as Adobe Photoshop, to create the design of your custom gobo. Before you begin the design process, double check the size of the gobo required for your gobo projector and adjust the settings accordingly. For example, the CHAUVET® DJ Gobo Zoom™ LED 2.0 requires a gobo with the following dimensions: 28.6mm outside, 26mm image and 1mm max thickness.
2. Print Your Gobo
When it comes to printing gobos, be sure to use a high-quality transparency film from an office supply store. Before you begin, double check that your printer settings are set to print on transparency film. *Tip: Based off feedback from end users, laser printers with a high DPI work best.
3. Cut Out Your Gobo
This part can be tricky if you’re not careful. Use an X-ACTO knife, scissors or a circular cutter from a craft or hobby store to ensure a gobo with smooth edges.
4. Install Your Gobo
Dust off the manual for your gobo projector and follow the instructions to properly install your custom gobo. Be sure the gobo does not wrinkle or crease — otherwise that flaw will be projected as well.
Practice makes perfect, so don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t come out perfect the first time. There are quite a few tutorials on YouTube that will provide additional tips. Now that you’ve created and printed your own gobos, click here for helpful tips to uspell them to clients.
- 46INfectiously Bright Gobo Zoom™ LED 2.0 SUNRISE, Fla. – CHAUVET®, a leading manufacturer of LED lighting, announces the release of Gobo Zoom™ LED 2.0 [link: http://www.chauvetlighting.com/gobozoom-led2.html]. It’s an extremely bright and super compact, rotating gobo projector perfect for mobile performers, entertainment venues and retail environments. Gobo Zoom™ LED 2.0 [link: http://www.chauvetlighting.com/gobozoom-led2.html] is powered by an…
- 44by Allan Reiss, CHAUVET DJ Product Manager Gobos add a personal touch to events. Brides are willing to pay extra to see their new initials projected on the dance floor, graduating classes love seeing their year displayed brightly on the wall and corporations are proud to see their logo. Ordering gobos, especially custom gobos, can…
- 43by Wallace Greenaway, CHAUVET® DJ Product Manager So, you have made the decision that DJing is your passion and you want to seriously consider it as your part-time or full-time career. You don’t lack the talent, but still, haven’t figured out all the details yet. For example, you might think lighting is not as important as your…
- 41PALM-SIZED LED MOVING YOKE RELEASED SUNRISE, Fla. – CHAUVET®, a leading manufacturer of LED lighting, announces the release of two new ultra-compact moving yokes, MiN™ Spot RGBW [link: http://www.chauvetlighting.com/min-spot-rgbw.html] and MiN™ Wash RGBW [link: http://www.chauvetlighting.com/min-wash-rgbw.html]. Imagine an LED-fitted moving yoke that fits in the palm of your hand. These two new members of the MiN…
- 38by Allan Reiss, CHAUVET Club/DJ Product Manager Cleaning your scanners periodically can give them a longer life and you less to worry about in the end. The buildup of dust and dirt can overheat units or clog fans, which translates into fixture failure sooner than you expected. Follow these tips to save money and avoid…
Filed Under: Lighting
Leave a comment