As I approach my 40th Birthday I started thinking about the things that were important to me. While it was difficult to do, I was able to pick out a Top 10 Things to Know and Do before 40. These are all simple and practical steps and truthfully can be applicable to any age. Here we go:
1. Know Yourself – When I say “Know Yourself” I am referring to your strengths and weaknesses. We all have them and just like fingerprints that vary for each one of us. Knowing your strengths will help yo to know where to focus your efforts and opportunities to excel. It will help you achieve your goals and attain personal satisfaction. On the other hand, knowing your weaknesses can be equally if not more beneficial. When you know your weakness and even more important, willing to admit your weaknesses, you have a foundation for growth. You can create a list of areas to spend as much time getting better at as you do on the things that come natural. You can also evaluate if the weakness is something you should avoid and allow others to accomplish.
2. Settle Your Family Life – This is mostly for the married couples but truthfully can exist with parents, children or any other relatives. Recognize issues that may exist, things that are lingering and unaddressed. It is important to get them out in the open and “handled”. One thing we are not promised in life is time and once someone is gone the opportunity to set things right goes as well, yet the guilt of not doing so can last forever. Relationships, especially marriages, require constant work and nurturing.
3. Determine Your Priorities – It is said that every seven years we change as people and everything from out tastes, likes & dislikes, ambitions and priorities. It is vital to keep track of your priorities, write them down and occasionally review them for any changes, additions or subtractions. This will help you keep focused on what is important and worth giving your time to.
4. Develop Your Philosophy – How do you define your life? What is your vision for your future? It is critical to know what you believe in, what/who you are willing to die for and what things in your life are optional. Alexander Hamilton said, “Those who stand for nothing fall for anything”.
5. Get Physically Fit – As we get older and absorbed in our careers, goals, lives, etc. one of the areas we often overlook is our health. This has become a VITAL area for me over the past few years and a journey that in a short time has taught me more about myself than anything before it. Remember, don’t give up your “health” in an effort to gain “wealth”. A strong body leads to a strong mind which leads to a strong future.
6. Learn Your Trade – Always be a student of your trade. The day you think you cannot learn anything else about your trade is the day you need to get out of it. To be most successful at your trade; learn, earn and return. the biggest key is to remember to give back more than you receive.
7. Pay The Price – Success cannot be accomplished without sacrifice. You have heard it all, “Nothing in life is easy” “Anything worth having is worth working for” These and similar statements are profound and should not be taken lightly. Your “ah hah” moment with this one is when you realize and are willing to accept that you may sacrifice and not see success but trust that those who follow will reap the success of your sacrifice. Some would call it a characteristic of leadership.
8. Develop Solid Relationships – In the day and age of social media the word “friend” has a whole new meaning. Solid relationships are important because life’s greatest experiences involve people. I have had some of the best times of my life and created unforgettable memories with the guys I have developed solid relationships with, a brotherhood if you will. Take a moment and review your social media “friends”. How many do you have a solid relationship with?
9. Prepare For The Future – By nature we always want the biggest and best. This is very prevalent in the Event Industry. Often we are judged by the equipment we carry, the amount of lights we have, how many songs in our library, etc. While these things are vital to our craft, in the grand scheme of life how important are they? Consider living life in such a way that you have options later on when you have played that last song. Consider purchasing the “second best” and saving the difference for retirement.
10. Find Purpose In You Life – True success comes from knowing and executing your purpose in life. Never stop growing to your maximum potential and continue sewing seeds, even if only others down the line benefit from them.
As 2011 is coming to an end, no matter if you are 40, 20 or 60 do a self evaluation of these 10 things and see where you stand with them. You may find that you need to work on some and also be right where you need to be with others. You’re either Green and Growing or Ripe and Rotting!!!
- 40In one of my past articles 10 Things you should Know and Do before you are 40 I briefly touched on the importance of Creating Solid Relationships. I would not like to take that a step further and focus on Mastering Relationships. This will be Key Tips in bullet point fashion to help you start to Master…
Leave a comment